NVDT Neighborhood Team propels the church toward fulfilling its collective call to proclaim God’s kingdom in our community.
We believe that to truly know and love our neighbor is to demonstrate the Gospel of Jesus Christ in both word and deed.
We identify, create, and invite the congregation to participate in Spirit-led acts of service, justice, and mercy that promote the flourishing of our community.
Have a need? Contact us!
Dear New Valley,
As you are aware, the coronavirus pandemic has left many Phoenix residents isolated in nursing and hospice care facilities. Since in-person volunteering has been suspended for residents' safety, letters are needed to be sent to these facilities to brighten seniors' day. As you may know, Hospice of the Valley is located in our neighborhood along Flower and 16th St.
Hospice of the Valley has 2,100 patients in their service, which is why we are reaching out to local communities to make as many cards as possible. They prefer handmade cards and will mail them to the patients.
Here are some simple examples below, everyone wishing to participate can simply use what they have at home.
Here is some information about what to include and avoid in the cards:
- Phrases that offer comfort and companionship from afar, like "thinking of you and wishing you a beautiful day; sending warm fuzzies your way; may you find comfort and peace today."
- Positive pictures that will be recognizable across multiple generations, including persons living with dementia; eg rainbows, sun, flowers, trees, sports, natural scenery, music instruments, animals, hearts, smiles, etc
- Writing in English or Spanish
- "Get well" verbiage. Patients on hospice service have a terminal illness and will not get well. The goal of palliative care is to enhance the patient's comfort and dignity and provide support to the family.
- Mention of COVID-19/coronavirus, as this might confuse the patients and incite anxiety or fear
- Personal contact information or full name
We will be collecting cards at church on Sundays throughout the month of August. Please have your cards completed by September 1 at the latest. You can also mail all cards to New Valley Downtown (1801 E Osborn Rd. Phoenix, AZ 85016).
If you have any questions please feel free to contact the neighborhood team at neighborhood@newvalleychurch.
The Neighborhood Team