Enjoying life together in the goodness of God
We believe that God has created us for two purposes: His glory and our joy! We love what the Westminster Shorter Catechism says in Question 1:
Question: What is the chief end of man?
Answer: Man’s chief end is to glorify God and enjoy him forever.
Everything we do as a church is connected to this biblical vision of life.
Our Mission: Make and Mature Disciples of Jesus
We believe that we share the same mission with every faithful church. Jesus gave the church her marching orders at the end of Matthew’s gospel:
And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20
Our Strategy: In general, we focus on these 6 strategies
1. Worship. We believe joyful and reverent worship is the proper response to a good and powerful God. So we encourage and equip our church family to participate in corporate worship, family worship, and a personal life of worship.
2. Prayer. Prayer is the way we commune with God. We have seen first hand how God answers prayer that we offer by ourselves and in our families. We also pray together as a church using song, ancient prayers, creeds, confessions of sin, and silent listening.
3. Gospel Communities (GCs!). GC’s are our way of saying “small group.” We like this term because it gets at the purpose of these groups. They are for building up a community, but are also centered around gospel content.
4. Spiritual Formation. We are a church that desires to grow up our members into maturity in Christ. Though we are growing into some of these goals, our desire is to offer an array of core classes, catechism for our kids, spiritual retreats, and other forms of intentional spiritual growth.
5. Parties. Jesus came “eating and drinking” with people of all walks of life. Sharing meals was one of Jesus’ intentional practices and it is ours as well. We throw parties at least once a month and invite everyone we can to party with us.
6. Partnerships. We partner with a couple of local mercy ministries who are practicing biblical mercy and justice in Phoenix.
Our Culture: What we celebrate
Here are some key words that describe what we are all about. As a church, we celebrate:
Hospitality - We share meals and drinks in each others homes, and invite anyone who wants to come into the feast.
Marriage/Family - One of the first things that people notice about our church “You have a lot of kids.” We take pride in this and desire to disciple fathers to be godly fathers, mothers to be godly mothers, and kids to follow Jesus with their whole hearts.
Presbyterian (PCA) and Reformed - Our denomination (Presbyterian Church in America) is Bible believing and gospel centered. We love this accountability!
Our City - Phoenix is always growing, but Downtown PHX in particular is booming. We love being close to all the new places where people want to live, work, and play.
Vocations - There is no distinction between sacred and secular. Work is where people spend the majority of their waking lives and we celebrate God’s callings for each us.
Changed lives - We celebrate when a life is changed, whether someone is coming to faith in Jesus, giving up an addiction, or healing a marriage. God is always at work.